Water monitoring involves many different activitites, from ensuring the quality of surface or underground water, both for human beings and animal life, to the monitoring of a nationwide water infrastructure. Machine-to-machine (M2M) and Wireless sensor networks (WSN) technologies are becoming increasingly popular in this area. Based on ADVANTICSYS dataloggers and controllers, we deliver a wide…
Remote monitoring and control
Supervision and maintenance on those locations without internet wired connection requires high personnel cost and also means a slow reaction in case of malfunction events and alarms. For companies with a big amount of remote location centers (such as repeaters of operators and telephone companies, production and distribution centers for energy manufacturers or photovoltaic/eolic plants), maintenance and supervision labors involve disproportionately high costs.
Remote data management can be quite complex depending of the number of signals and protocols used, which means the use of converters, industrial PCs, PLCs and one (or more) GSM/GPRS modems, increasing both complexity and price of installation.
GSM/GPRS Remote communication controllers such as MPC-143 can replace converters, PC/PLC and modem, doing itself all required functions to remote transmission of desired data. This entails not only a saving on required devices but also a faster and easier installation, which means also an additional saving within the remote monitoring systems life cycle.
The use of MPC-143 controllers also provides additional features to the system:
- Batteries management. The remote monitoring devices can charge the battery and use it to power supply in the event of blackout.
- Integrated datalogger. Data can be stored on internal memory. In case of communication leak, the information remains stored, providing security and reliability to the entire system.
- SMS sending. User can define events or alarms which provoke the sending of SMS, facilitating the quick response to malfunction alarms or any user-defined events.
- FTP client. Data logged can be sent periodically to remote FTP server in CSV files.
- Protocol Unifying. The hiring of expensive system integration engineers to develop software capable to manage all signals and protocols is no more needed, the remote equipment monitoring can unify all required communications into a single powerful, standard, open and easy to use protocol: Modbus.
- Wireless metering solution for a heating system in a school in Cardiff (Wales)
- Remote monitoring and metering solution for district heating & cooling network in Majorca (Spain)
- Real-time monitoring of the entire network of Georgian State Electrosystems power substations